Last week, in the land of the rising run, the DS reigned supreme. Unfortunately, however, Nintendo of Japan has one weakness: Role Playing Games.
1. Phantasy Star Universe - PS2 - 120,202 | NEW
2. New Super Mario Bros. - NDS - 72,763 | 2,974,027
3. More DS Brain Training - NDS - 46,662 | 3,119,857
4. Final Fantasy III - NDS - 45,949 | 549,001
5. Tingle RPG - NDS - 45,496 | NEW
6. Nintendo DS Talking Cooking Navi - NDS - 35,689 | 419,733
7. Mario Hoops 3-on-3 - NDS - 34,001 | 267,763
8. Animal Crossing : Wild World – NDS – 32,605 | 3,181,735
9. Rhythm Tengoku - GBA - 28,361 | 123,432
10. Tamagotchi Connexion Corner Shop 2 - NDS - 27,540 | 458,474
Yes, an RPG invariably ends up on this list upon its release in Japan, no matter how clichèd or unoriginal it may be. Final Fantasy III performed a similar feat last week, but looking at the impossibly attenuated sales, one can only assume they're running real short on copies over there. Oh well, we can't be kings forever, right?
(This post in no way bashes Phantasy Star Universe or any of its fine publishers or developers. It's just that the game can't possibly be as cool as any other on this list. No hard feelings.)
Reader Comments (Page 1 of 1)
9-07-2006 @ 3:26PM
Come on. PSU at least trumps the Tamagotchi sequel, even if Tamagotchi is a Nana-On-Sha game.
9-07-2006 @ 3:30PM
Tamagotchi Lover said...
What are you doing on DS fanboy? We're all supposed to be in denial.
9-07-2006 @ 6:53PM
I like Phantasy Star Universe. D: But I don't own a PS2, so it's out of the question.
Yeah, FFIII looks like it's running on some shortages there. Nice.
9-07-2006 @ 9:18PM
Cue Axel F.
9-08-2006 @ 9:47AM
The nr. 1 may be a bit of a downer but for the rest it's 8 DS-games and 1 GBA-game. You cannot possibly call that bad.
9-08-2006 @ 3:16PM
Ok, but how cool would PSO or a PSU port be on the DS. Use the touch screen for menus and weapon switching. I can dream can't I?
9-08-2006 @ 8:34PM
I believe it was cited that FFIII was sold out practically everywhere in japan.