Japan set to implode: Dragon's Quest IX is a DS exclusive
Development of the game is being passed over to Level 5 (also working on White Knight Story for the PS3), and it'll feature a four-player co-op mode as well. Of course, there's no definite release date, but the team mentioned that they'd like to have it out sometime in 2007.
Let this news wash over your Tuesday, and make it full of glee and joy. Bring on DQIXDS!
[Thanks to everyone who sent this in, and GoNintendo for the pic!]
- Final Fantasy IV: Vocalist wanted (5/13/2007)
- DS Daily: Learn by playing (5/13/2007)
- Halo DS ... never existed? (5/12/2007)
- SNK fixing Card Fighters DS (5/12/2007)
- Check out Hoshigami Remix (5/12/2007)
Reader Comments(Page 1)
2. "this franchise is second only to perhaps Final Fantasy in Japan"
Correction: "Final Fantasy is second only to Dragon Quest in Japan."
DQVIII:over 4 million copies sold in Japan
FFXII: over 2 million copies sold in Japan
Posted at 4:24AM on Dec 12th 2006 by Repsode
3. Umm Dragon Quest has always been bigger than Final fantasy is Japan!!Update news post please.
Posted at 4:29AM on Dec 12th 2006 by jc
4. Hmm, so basically, after Sony's coffin was already nailed shut by the Wii launch (and continually strong DS sales), Nintendo thought that wasn't enough. No, they want to coat the coffin in wet cement, let it sit in the arid sun for a few hours, then put it on a plane and dump it over the Pacific somewhere.
A MAIN entry in the Dragon Quest franchise? Exclusively on the DS??
That's essentially like someone writing you a check for the entire GDP of Japan.
Posted at 7:08AM on Dec 12th 2006 by Infil
5. This is really huge, the DS, getting some more exclusive
treatment from Square. Really great stuff! With Square support strong, the DS will most likely never falter in Japan.
With all due respect,
Posted at 9:28AM on Dec 12th 2006 by Fox
6. Correction: ''Dragon Quest is second online to Pokemon in japan''
Posted at 9:44AM on Dec 12th 2006 by joetachi
7. sorry typo
''Dragon Quest is second only to Pokemon in japan''
Posted at 9:48AM on Dec 12th 2006 by joetachi
8. This has nothing to do with the Wii, or Nintendo loyalty, or anything like that. This only has to do with DS sales.
Posted at 11:31AM on Dec 12th 2006 by 20XX
9. "Hmm, so basically, after Sony's coffin was already nailed shut by the Wii launch (and continually strong DS sales), Nintendo thought that wasn't enough. No, they want to coat the coffin in wet cement, let it sit in the arid sun for a few hours, then put it on a plane and dump it over the Pacific somewhere."
Sadly, Nintendo still couldn't get Final Fantasy XIII, so their plans were all for not. However, with SE support, the only one we really need to worry about is Microsoft. I don't think you can win anything without Square's support. (Don't kid yourself, Blue Dragon will not even come close to DQ or FF.)
Posted at 12:12PM on Dec 12th 2006 by Ken
10. And the PSP has an FFVII spin-off. Still, DQ > FF in Japan, especially a main entry in the series.
Posted at 1:15PM on Dec 12th 2006 by Josh
11. I've never bought a Dragon Quest game before. And the only ones I've played at all were the NES Dragon Warriors and the DQ8 demo. That will all change when this comes out.I love you, DS.
Posted at 1:53PM on Dec 12th 2006 by imokurok
12. Nope, this isnt good news, this is sad sad news.
Basically this means that I will be forced to play DQ9 on the least powerfull of all current gen systems. DQ is not a handheld game, especially not a full chaper. Give me this on 360 og PS3 and then ill be happy.
Posted at 1:57PM on Dec 12th 2006 by xorzisten
13. When I first read this headline I was really excited. However, upon reading a little more, I'm now a little concerned. "Notably departing from the standard J-RPG formula, gameplay in Dragon Quest IX will be more action oriented and will feature four-player online cooperative play." I hope this doesn't turn out to be some Crystal Chronicles crap.
Posted at 5:28PM on Dec 12th 2006 by WhoDey
14. This is terrible news, I could care less what console it's on, but changing the classic DQ game play that has been basically the same since it's inception has me very worried. I'm worried that very soon there will be no more classic style j-rpgs. I'm not a big fan of this new action oriented direction all of them seem headed.
Posted at 12:45AM on Dec 13th 2006 by arg!
15. You know what? The first thing to pop into my mind upon learning of the announcement was that pic of Shiggy and Iwata holding a DS and yelling, "IT PRINTS MONEY!"
Posted at 2:22PM on Dec 14th 2006 by Jonathan
1. Oooh, nice!
The DS is looking to be pretty strong on the RPG front this coming year! :)
Posted at 3:53AM on Dec 12th 2006 by Kefka