Nintendo's Media Summit has just thrown us its first juicy bone of the night, and it's a big one. As was previously rumored, Satoru Iwata has revealed the Nintendo DSi, the direct successor to the DS Lite which comes absolutely jam-packed with new features and trinkets, including two cameras, music playback functions, expanded screens, an SD card slot, and a whole new, DS-specific download service. Hit the break for the full list of improvements and adjustments, as well as the Japanese launch date and price!
Gallery: Nintendo DSi
- Overall size has been reduced -- DSi is 12% or 2.6 millimeters slimmer than the Lite.
- Comes with an external 0.3 Megapixel camera (for 640 x 480 pixel pictures) and a VGA camera located on the hinge, directed towards the user. You'll be able to edit pictures using the touchscreen.
- Full music playback functionality, including adjustable pitch and playback speed.
- Both screens have been expanded to 3.25 inches.
- SD memory card slot is included, and there'll be on-board memory also.
- Will ship with an built-in Nintendo DS web browser.
- DSi will allow users to download games from DSWare, a new service that operates with Wii Points -- or, as they are now known, Nintendo Points.
- Logging onto DSWare for the first time will grant users 1,000 free Nintendo Points.
- DSWare comes in four pricing categories: free (!), 200 Nintendo Points, 500 Nintendo Points, and 800 Nintendo Points.
- Will come in lovely matte white and matte black. Begone, foul fingerprints that have taunted us so!
- And finally, it launches on November 1st in Japan, and will cost ¥18,900, or roughly $179. Check out the official site at the "Source" link below!
Reader Comments (Page 1 of 7)
10-02-2008 @ 12:57AM
Joe H said...
ok sweet, I am pleased.
10-02-2008 @ 12:58AM
Is this real?
10-02-2008 @ 2:02PM
10-02-2008 @ 1:03AM
Can't wait to hear more!
10-02-2008 @ 1:03AM
You better believe it baybay!
10-02-2008 @ 1:07AM
I only need to know two things:
1) How much?
2) When can I get one?
10-12-2008 @ 11:54AM
2.Near Spring 2009 (America)
10-02-2008 @ 1:10AM
" Software will be separated into four categories: Free, 200 Points, 500 Points and Premium (800 Points). If you connect even once to the Shop by March 2010, Nintendo will give you 1,000 free Points as a present"
10-02-2008 @ 1:11AM
Nintendo milks it again! They're quite genius at getting you to buy the same thing over and over again.
10-02-2008 @ 1:18AM
Ironraptor Albion said...
Uhm... PSP 3000 anyone?
Granted the PSP 3000 isn't successful, but hey, the PSP 3000 offers minor hardware tweaks as opposed to the DSi.
10-02-2008 @ 1:22AM
Has nothing to do with the PSP, as usual you're on the defensive about it. Honestly, look back at all the versions of the same handhelds Nintendo puts out with minor modifications, haha. Buy into their gimmicks, which is fine, because it looks cool at least.
10-02-2008 @ 1:30AM
Nice trolling comment there mate!
I agree with Ironraptors reply....
What was your reason for bagging Nintendo for 'milking' it again, when Sony do exactly the same with the PSP.
The DS is successful, they are selling boatloads of them. Why not update and add more features?
10-02-2008 @ 1:38AM
Ah yes, anybody who doesn't buy into each and every little upgrade is a troll. You fanboys are a faggy bunch. I'm not bagging on it just to be doing it, I'm just tired of such minor updates getting so much praise. It's absolutely ridiculous, but then again, most of Nintendo's fanbase is retarded and thinks Brawl is the holy grail of games. Enough said.
10-02-2008 @ 2:00AM
bug frawg said...
@pardoned: I guess calling people retarded isn't trolling at all?
and this version is at least a more significant upgrade compared to the switch from phat to lite.
10-02-2008 @ 5:41AM
Considering I don't actually own a DS myself, it hardly makes me a fanboy.
You obviously just don't like Nintendo, and their success. Because your initial, pointless, comment was equally applicable to the PSP, and the PSOne, and the PS2 Slim etc etc. Yet you argue with those who point this out to you.
Grow up, and save your bait for someone who gives a hoot.
10-02-2008 @ 1:12AM
10-02-2008 @ 1:16AM
Way to kick Guitar Hero On Tour in the nuts. Bye bye gba slot.
10-02-2008 @ 1:31AM
hahaha... good point!!
You got to wonder what Nintendo are thinking sometimes! If they ignore WPA & WPA2 for WiFi security this time round, I'll be gobsmacked.
10-04-2008 @ 11:11AM
Ugh! I know! The first two things I thought of were GH and WPA!
10-08-2008 @ 2:29PM
Haha, love the comment, but...I don't notice where it says or shows there is no GBA slot. Man, I was SOOO excited about this, and "holy $#!+" ing it up, but...it's a bit less impressive if they removed functiionality to add others. I also don't think that adding an SD slot, cameras, and onboard memory to handle more built-in software is a MINOR gimmick. That sounds like a mjor upgrade to me, way more so than the light and size change from DS to DS Lite.
Sooo....Holy $#!+, Nintendo! Now, just show me where it says "no GBA slot" and I'll lay it to rest, lol.